6 Major Opportunities After Passing the FE ExamMay 05, 2023
Passing the Fundamental of Engineering (FE) exam is a significant achievement that can lead to exciting and fulfilling career opportunities. Here are 6 ways you can elevate your career after passing the FE exam:
1. Pursue a Principles and Practice of Engineering (PE) License: Passing the FE exam is the first step towards obtaining a PE license. A PE license opens up opportunities to take on more challenging projects, sign off on engineering designs, and become a leader in your field. In order to obtain a PE license, you must pass the corresponding PE exam and have the necessary work experience for your field.
School of PE offers comprehensive PE exam review courses
. Be sure to check them out for additional review material by others with PE experience.
2. Look for Internships and/or Job Opportunities: Possessing an EIT (Engineer in Training) certificate-earned after passing the FE exam-can give you a competitive edge and help you stand out amongst your peers. Engineering firms dealing with utilities and consultation often consider hiring recent graduates more if they possess an EIT certification. Acquiring the certification establishes your knowledge and credibility to future employers.
3. Specialize in a Field:
After passing the FE exam, you may want to consider specializing in a particular field of engineering. For example, you can focus on structural engineering, machine design and materials engineering, or nuclear engineering depending on your degree. Specializing in a field will help you develop expertise, making you a valuable asset to future employers. To explore available specializations, you can check Exam Specification
s from the NCEES website.
4. Access Higher Salary and Promotions: You will increase your chance of attracting employers as well as your earning potential after passing the FE exam. Negotiate with management and leverage your accredited certification to make sure you receive the proper compensation for your extra effort.
After passing the FE exam, new opportunities for promotions, such as going from engineer I to engineer II or becoming a project lead, as well as respective salary bumps, will become more accessible and justifiable.
5. Become an Entrepreneur: Starting your own engineer consulting or contracting firm or other affiliated business is another way to elevate your career. This will give you the opportunity to become a leader, choose and work on exciting projects, control your own schedule, and build a reputation off of your engineering skills and expertise.
6. Obtain Advanced Degrees: Pursuing advanced degrees, such as a master's or a doctoral degree, will help you develop specialized knowledge and skills within your field. With an advanced degree, new opportunities will arise, such as a career in research and development or a career in education as a university professor.
If you are looking to pursue obtaining a professional engineering license, consider partnering with School of PE!
Our comprehensive exam review courses have what you need to pass your PE exam with confidence. Contact us today to learn more!