Seven Reasons Why You Should Pay for Employee Certification
It should go without saying, but your employees are one of the greatest business investments you'll ever have. They should be the core reason your business runs as smoothly as it does. There are several areas within a given company that need workers to ensure an efficiently run system. You'll find excellent employee uses anywhere from IT to sales and manufacturing and development. Not only are employees an obvious benefit to your business, but investing in the employees themselves in the form of industry-specific certifications can prove to have significant returns for the overall group. For example, employers who invest in additional training and certification are less likely to experience employee turnover, which leads to long-term employees forming efficient processes and a more positive work environment. According to a 2018 Udemy study
, 42% of respondents state that learning and development is the most important benefit when considering jobs, meaning that employees are more likely to search for jobs or stay with current jobs that offer professional development opportunities. The budget should not be only for paying your employees but also for helping them gain professional certifications that prove beneficial to you, the work environment, and the employee themselves.
In this Blog,
Why You Should Pay for Employee Certification
What is certification?
Certification in a professional capacity refers to a training program that deals with a niche area of expertise. Certification differs from a university degree because a degree program is a broad overview of an industry with focused classes in individual subjects. It takes roughly four years to complete and has a lot of general knowledge. Take a degree in Information Technology, for instance. This degree will encompass everything from the basics of a subject, like information storage and service-related information, before it gets into the nitty gritty of a degree subject. A certification program will take only a few classes (sometimes as little as three months) in a specific subject-like XR technology-and give every bit of information you would need to be an expert in that area. Certification programs still require testing to prove knowledge retention and personal expertise, but the time needed to complete the certification is significantly reduced.
There are dozens of reasons why you would want to certify your employees, and the specific instances depend on your own industry standards and individual case, but here are the top seven reasons why you should pay for employee certification.
1. Increase in Available Skillset
Possibly the most obvious of benefits is that certifying your existing employees increases the available knowledge and expertise within the company. Knowledge is power, and the only way to gain more of it is to intentionally invest in it. Otherwise, the potential knowledge is simply information. People glean information regularly as a product of living and doing things. It's when we internalize information with the intention that it becomes a valuable asset. Certifying employees gives them (and you) the ability to leverage this knowledge in the best way possible. Certification enables employees to build their skill base and become a bigger asset to the company.
2. Reduced Business Risk
As stated before, taking the time and money to invest in employee certifications and development generally leads to less employee turnover. While there is justification for not certifying (thinking that you're simply giving them useful skills to use in their next job), the proven benefits far outweigh the potential risk involved. Not only are people far more likely to apply to jobs that involve career progression, but current employees are also more willing to stay in a career that invests in them, proving that they care about the workplace and the employee's personal development. Certifying current and incoming employees ensures less turnover. When the alternative equals a greater amount of disruption in standard processes, certification is a logical form of insurance against high turnover rates. As a result, there is less risk to the business as a whole.
3. Increased Productivity
According to IBM
, 84% of employees in the highest-performing companies say that they're receiving he right training. Certified employees feel more capable of handling their workload when they've been equipped with training on the proper procedures and information regarding the specific tasks at hand. In order to get the most out of your employees, it's your responsibility to ensure that they've been given the proper tools. Certified employees tend to be more productive in general than their non-certified counterparts. In the same study on the value of training, it states that training helps stakeholders win:
"Objectives will be met 90% more often by increasing team skills. Increasing team skills by 1/3 increases the likelihood of stakeholders meeting their objectives from 10% to 100%." (Source
Increased productivity leads to higher ROI rates for the company. Investing in the employee makes them feel more responsible toward the company and like investing in the company in turn.
4. Happier Employees
Picture your ideal employee. Be specific. This employee has a great work ethic. They're productive. They get their work done on time. Their attitude is excellent, and they help get new employees acquainted with the routine and standard operating procedures in the workplace. They have the willingness and the ability to do great things and accept learning opportunities as they come with excitement. People are driven by accomplishment and success. The specific term for this is achievement motivation. The cycle of building a better work environment with happy, high-achieving employees begins at the certification level because employees are motivated by their own success.
5. Larger Talent Pool
In today's rapidly advancing age of information, degrees can only get you so far. Licensed therapists, for instance, are required to retest for licensure on a regular basis to stay up to date with current therapy. Part of that is because people, in general, are constantly changing, but also because there are new methodologies and studies on brain function, medication, and other crucial aspects of the job. On top of a degree, clinical hours are required, as well as frequent testing and continuing education to stay current. If you needed mental health support, would you feel better going to a therapist who let their license expire ten years ago or somebody who is actively seeking newer, up-to-date information? Continual certification for long-term employees gives you a larger group of people to source talent and information from to ensure that you have the best, most up-to-date procedures for your organization.
6. Client Confidence and Better Public Image
When a potential client is ready to search for the perfect company to work with, they're going to look for the one with the highest potential to do the job right the first time. A certification is an official industry stamp of approval on the company and its employees. When one of the first things a client sees is the certification titles, they know they're getting somebody who has been tested and proven capable. The image that is then projected to the public is one of assurance and confidence. It says, "We know what you need and how to help." It's an image of professionalism.
7. Premium Prices for Certified Knowledge
Maybe not the most important reason, but definitely, a big benefit of employee certification is that you can charge higher prices for your services with certified information. Let's look at another comparison to give you a good example. Content writing is all the rage for building your business brand and client base. You could go with somebody who's really good at research but doesn't have certifications in your specific field, OR you could hire a writer with industry certifications specific to your business.
There is a trade-off here. The researcher is really good and affordable. However, the certified professional has time and experience in the field and is capable of providing a more authentic read for your client base. The industry professional content writer can charge higher processes because of their specific knowledge. It's the same with employee certification. While not always necessary to get the job done, you are able to charge premium prices for the knowledge your employees are certified with. That extra stamp of approval will give you a greater return on interest.
This begs the question, "Why not hire a previously certified professional?"
The simple fact is that somebody specifically trained in what you need already has experience. They've been certified and are now regularly working with clients and businesses, gaining useful insight and valuable experience. Notice the italics? This experience means you spend more on them than the certification itself. Ultimately, paying to certify your current employees is cheaper and helps you to create a good working trust between you and them.
Investing in your employees also means investing in the future of your business. Your employees already have an understanding of the inner workings of the company and can offer more insight into what the company needs on an internal level. People work hard when they feel like they're valued. Paying for employee certification is one way that you can show appreciation for the work they already do and that you have trust in their abilities. Show that you value your employees and invest in them!