PE Civil Breadth & Construction Depth
The PE Civil Breadth & Construction Depth exam is eight hours long and divided into two sections: breadth and depth. The breadth portion takes place in the morning and is made up of questions from all areas of civil engineering. The depth portion takes place in the afternoon and focuses on the Construction area of civil engineering as selected by the examinee. School of PE offers comprehensive exam review courses to help students prepare, practice, and pass their exam with confidence to earn their licensure.
Our PE Civil exam review courses consist of comprehensive lectures and practice sessions to ensure our students have an excellent understanding of the material. Each review course follows the official NCEES exam specifications and is divided into two parts: The first part includes 48 hours of breadth review, which covers the topics of the breadth portion of exam. The second part includes 48 hours of discipline-specific review, which covers the student’s chosen depth subject. Student registration also includes access to our Study Hub at no additional cost.
Our New Study Hub: One Place for All Your Study Needs
Our reimagined Study Hub was designed with all of our students in mind—past, present, and future—to amplify their studies and help them approach exam day with confidence. PE Civil Breadth & Construction Depth students can study anytime, anywhere, and on any device with these exciting features:
- Study Hub's new feature: Personalized Study Plan
- Watch, pause, and resume lecture videos where you left off
- Make timestamped annotations on lecture videos
- Bookmark recordings to easily review at a later date
- Download, review, and annotate lecture notes
- Easily access eBooks
- Test your knowledge using different test formats in the Practice Portal Pro
- Quiz yourself on important definitions with the Flash Cards feature
- Ask questions to instructors while watching lecture videos
- Access discussion forums to communicate with other students
- Study using any device with an internet connection for a seamless experience
- Download the Study Hub app to take your studies on-the-go!
Books by School of PE
Our PE Civil Exam Review Guide: Breadth book (a $240 value) is included in our PE Civil Ondemand review course.
NEW! Register for our Ondemand course by February 28th, 2021 and receive the PE Civil Exam Review Guide: Construction Depth Preview Edition for FREE* in both paperback and eBook ($140 value). The Preview Edition is exclusive to School of PE students.
*A $35.50 S&H fee is applied to the book and printed materials. PE Civil Exam Review Guide: Construction Depth Preview Edition offer is valid for new April 2021 and October 2021 exam Ondemand review course registrations.
PE Civil Breadth & Construction Depth Course Formats
School of PE offers multiple course formats that are geared toward you and your study habits to help you succeed. Learn more about our options below and select the one that best fits your needs.
- Ondemand - Our Ondemand format is designed to give students the flexibility to study for exams anytime, anywhere. Upon registration, students receive immediate access to lecture videos, refresher notes, practice quizzes, discussion forums, and more. Students are able to explore these features whenever, wherever on their computer, smartphone, or tablet. Click here to register for our PE Civil Breadth & Construction Depth Ondemand course.
- Live Online - Our Live Online classes are perfect for students who prefer a traditional class setting with the added benefit of virtual attendance. Students can ask the instructor questions, interact with their classmates, and collaborate on specific topics in real time. Click here to register for our PE Civil Breadth & Construction Depth Live Online class.
- Onsite - Our Onsite course format provides a traditional, in-person classroom environment. In an Onsite class, students have the benefit of communicating with their instructor and classmates face to face. Onsite students also receive access to our comprehensive Study Hub where they can watch lecture videos, revisit course notes, download materials, and more. Click here to register for our PE Civil Breadth & Construction Depth Onsite class.
Topics Covered in the Construction Depth Exam
The PE Civil: Construction Depth review course helps students become familiar with the topics covered in the depth portion of the exam. According to NCEES, the Construction Depth exam is comprised of 40 multiple-choice questions that require design, analysis, and application methodologies to answer the problems. Knowledge of engineering economics is also helpful for the Construction Depth exam.
At School of PE, our review course material is developed by instructors who specialize in the Construction area of civil engineering. The material is designed around the official NCEES exam specifications, which include:
Earthwork Construction and Layout
- Excavation and embankment
- Borrow pit volumes
- Site layout and control
- Earthwork mass diagrams and haul distance
- Site and subsurface investigations
Estimating Quantities and Costs
- Quantity take-off methods
- Cost estimating
- Cost analysis for resource selection
- Work measurement and productivity
Construction Operations and Methods
- Lifting and rigging
- Crane stability
- Dewatering and pumping
- Equipment operations
- Deep foundation installation
- Construction sequencing
- Activity time analysis
- Critical path method network analysis
- Resource scheduling and leveling
- Time-cost trade-off
Material Quality Control and Production
- Material properties and testing
- Weld and bolt installation
- Quality control process
- Concrete proportioning and placement
- Concrete maturity and early strength evaluation
- Construction loads, codes, and standards
- Falsework and scaffolding
- Shoring and reshoring
- Bracing and anchorage for stability
- Temporary support of excavation
Health and Safety
- OSHA regulations and hazard identification/abatement
- Safety management and statistics
- Work zone and public safety